When it comes to remodeling or updating a bathroom, few people remember to consider safety. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, over 235,000 emergency room visits are due to bathroom-related injuries each year. Of those injuries over 80% are caused by falls, primarily around the shower, tub, and toilet.
With some simple upgrades and guidance from Ranck, you can easily make your bathroom a safer place for you and your loved ones. By taking the time to be proactive now, you can avoid the risk of injury in the future.
Checking your Water Heater Controls for Accuracy
- Your home’s water heater should be set no hotter than 120 degrees Fahrenheit. By checking your water heater controls for accuracy we can help you avoid the risk of scalding and painful burns.
Installation of Anti-Scald Faucets and Shower Valves
- Add an extra layer of protection with an anti-scald faucet or shower valve. This will protect you and your loved ones from accidental extreme temperatures.
Levered Faucet Handles for Senior Comfort
- Lever faucet handles require less physical strength to turn and are less confusing to use, making them a great option for seniors. They are also much easier for those with arthritic hands to grip and turn.
Strategically-Place Grab Bars for Senior Safety
- By installing grab bars you can provide a layer of security for seniors in your home, reducing the risk of slips and falls. It’s important that the grab bars are safely secured to the shower or tub and are weight bearing.
Comfort-Height Toilets for Seniors
- Toilets that are too low can be difficult for the elderly to use. By replacing the toilet with an ADA-approved raised-height model, you’ll lessen the chance of a dangerous fall and make it possible for independent use.
Easy-Access Walk-In Tubs
- One of the most common places for bathroom-related falls is near the shower or tub. Consider installing a walk-in tub with a seal-tight door allowing easy access for seniors.
Shower Seating and Hand-Held Spray
- By adding seating and a flexible hand-held shower wand, taking a shower becomes a much easier task for the elderly.
Reach out to Ranck as your bathroom remodeling plumber expert for any questions you might have.
We hope you’ll consider these options the next time you make improvements to your home or bathroom. Don’t wait for an accident to happen before you take action. Contact Ranck today to begin your journey to a safer home.