Energy Saving Tips for Summer
When it’s hot and muggy outside, your indoors are a welcome oasis with cool air blasting from your air conditioning unit. While your air conditioner makes your home more comfortable and relaxing during the summer, it can start to stretch your wallet by increasing your overall energy costs. Keeping your air conditioner on all summer long can cost you hundreds in extra cooling costs that are much better spent on a summer getaway, not on bills. Every homeowner understands the need for having a properly functioning air conditioning system, but with a few household tweaks and summertime preparations, you can keep your home cool while saving on costs.
Summer Energy Saving Tips
If you notice your utility expenses creeping up, consider how you’re using your cooling system and determine if there are any adjustments you can make to keep costs down. Here are some simple energy saving habits you can adopt to lower your energy bills in the summer:
- Schedule an A/C tune-up: As your air conditioning system ages, it becomes less efficient with constant use and aging, worn parts — keep your air conditioning unit maintained with annual tune-up services. During annual maintenance, an HVAC professional will thoroughly inspect the quality of your machinery, replace dirty filters, check fluid levels and ensure your A/C is performing at maximum efficiency.
- Upgrade to a smart thermostat: Why are you running your air conditioner when no one is home? By upgrading to a smart thermostat, you can schedule times for the air conditioner to run, improving your energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats can be controlled from anywhere from your smartphone, making it fast and simple to monitor your cooling efforts.
- Check and seal household leaks: Make sure your hard-earned cool air isn’t seeping through unseen openings in your fireplace dampers, doors, windows or attic space. Check all of the seals around your openings and apply fresh weather stripping or caulk to reduce cool air transference. For a more thorough assessment, schedule a professional energy audit where an expert will use infrared technology to exactly pinpoint poorly insulated areas of your home.
- Block sunlight and use fans: Access to natural lighting can boost your mood and enhance your interiors, but in the summertime, the sun can also increase your indoor temperature, triggering your air conditioner to run more often. Keep curtains or blinds drawn over windows that face the sun. Along with keeping your shades drawn, install fans or turn on ceiling fans on mild days to keep your space comfortable while reducing your energy bill.
- Limit heat-producing appliances: During the hottest times of the day, limit how frequently you’re using heat-producing appliances like washers and dryers, stovetops and ovens. While these machines make your daily chores easier, they also create a lot of heat, prompting you to turn on your air conditioner. Either wait until the temperature cools off at night to use these appliances or switch to cooking out on the grill to prepare food without generating indoor heat.
Schedule A/C Maintenance Services Today With Ranck Plumbing, Heating and A/C
To guarantee you have the most efficient and effective air conditioning system in time for the summer heat, reach out to the trained and experienced professionals at Ranck Plumbing, Heating and A/C. We happily provide expert, customized cooling solutions for homeowners throughout the Lancaster, PA area and beyond. We provide comprehensive air conditioner maintenance services to improve the performance of your unit or can recommend quality upgrades to improve the comfort and efficiency of your home.
Schedule air conditioning maintenance services today, or learn more about our cooling solutions by calling 717-397-2577 or filling out our online contact form.